Updated September 24, 2013
Introduction; Consent to Terms
The contents of this Site are owned by or licensed to NPR and are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. You may not reproduce, distribute, republish, upload, transmit, display, prepare derivative works of, publicly perform, sell, transfer, assign or license, or use for commercial purposes, any copyrighted material on the Site without the prior written consent of NPR, except as provided in the next sentence.
Trademarks and Service Marks
National Public Radio® and NPR® are service marks of NPR. All rights reserved. You may not use any NPR-provided service marks, logos, or graphics, without NPR’s prior written consent, except that you agree not to remove any services marks, logos, graphics, product identification, copyright notices, or other notices or proprietary restrictions included in, or required to be used in connection with, the Software and its documentation.
Through the Contact Us page and other features of the Site, users may post, upload, transmit or otherwise submit (“Submit”) comments, messages and other information and materials, and make recommendations, on or through the Site (“User Materials”). You acknowledge that User Materials may be routed through our servers, the servers of one or more third parties on our behalf, and the Internet, and may be viewed by NPR staff and, on the unrestricted areas of the Site, by the general public.
NPR does not allow framing of the Site.
Links to the Site
NPR encourages and permits links to nonrestricted areas of the Site. You may not, however, link to restricted areas of the Site (non-public areas accessible only to registered users), and any linking should not suggest that NPR promotes or endorses any third party’s causes, ideas, websites, products or services, or use NPR or NPR Labs content for inappropriate commercial purposes. We reserve the right to withdraw permission for any link. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not link to Software available on the Site or to any other areas of the Site that can be accessed only with an account and password.
Links to Third-Party Websites
The Site may contain links to sites, applications or services maintained by third parties, over which NPR has no control. NPR does not endorse the content, operators, products, or services of such sites, and NPR is not responsible or liable for the content, operators, availability, accuracy, quality, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such sites. NPR shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, products or services available on or through such sites.
NPR makes available for download certain software on the Site (the “Software”). All use of the Software is subject to the Software License Agreement. To download any Software, you must agree to the Software License Agreement, which states the terms by which you are permitted to download and use the Software. To be eligible to download or use the Software, you must be (i) an NPR member station, (ii) a station eligible, as determined by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (“CPB”), to receive funding from CPB (“CPB-Qualified Station”), or (c) a station eligible, as determined by CPB, to enter into CPB’s Preferred iBiquity Agreement (“CPB License-Eligible Station”).
Rules for Using the Site
By using the Site, including by registering on the Site, Submitting User Materials through the Contact Us page or other means, or by using any other features of the Site, you agree to the following rules:
1. You must be at least 18 years old to Submit any User Materials or personally-identifying information on or through the Site. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you may browse the Site or register for e-mail newsletters or other features of the Site with the consent of your parent(s) or guardian(s), so long as you do not submit any User Materials. If you are under 13 years old, please do not send any information about yourself, including your name, address or e-mail address. If we discover that we have collected any personally-identifying information from a child under the age of 13, we will remove that information from our database as soon as possible.
2. You may not Submit any User Material anonymously or under a false name or a false e-mail address. You may not impersonate another user or provide any false information about yourself.
3. The Site can only be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. You cannot Submit any User Material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising, promotion, solicitation for goods and services, or recruiting. You may not use the Site for political campaigning, recruiting votes, or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives.
4. You may not Submit any software or other material that contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful computer code, files, scripts, agents, programs or device. You may not use the Site to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, “spam”, or duplicative or unsolicited messages in violation of applicable laws, or to gather user names or e-mail addresses for the purpose of sending unsolicited email or other communications to other users of the Site.
5. You may not interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the Site or its related systems or networks, or use the Site in any way which degrades their reliability, speed or operation, or their underlying hardware or software. You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Site or its related systems or networks.
THE SITE AND ANY CONTENT, INFORMATION, MATERIALS, ,SOFTWARE, FEATURES, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE OR SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE SITE ARE AVAILABLE ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NPR DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, AND NPR DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE SITE OR SOFTWARE OR ENDORSE, RECOMMEND OR MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE CONTENT, INFORMATION, MATERIALS, SOFTWARE, FEATURES, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SITE OR THROUGH LINKS ON THE SITE. USE OF THE SITE IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
IN NO EVENT WILL NPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS BE LIABLE (A) FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO THE USE THE SITE (B) RELATING TO ANY CONTENT, SOFTWARE, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE OR SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE SITE, OR (C) IN CONNECTION WITH ANY THIRD-PARTY CONTENT OR MATERIALS OR THE DEFAMATORY, INFRINGING, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY. IN NO EVENT WILL NPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY AMOUNT IN EXCESS OF $100.
Right to Change the Site and Restrict Use
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Notices; Copyright Agent
NPR respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide the following information in writing to NPR’s Copyright Agent (see 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed
- a description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material
- information so that we can contact you, such as address, telephone number and e-mail address
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed
If you believe that any content or materials you Submitted to the Site that were subsequently removed from the Site, or to which access was disabled, were improperly removed or disabled, please provide the following Counter-Notification to NPR’s Copyright Agent (see 17 U.S.C. § 512(g) for further detail):
- your physical or electronic signature
- a description of the materials that have been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled
- a statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled
- your name, address and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement
NPR’s Copyright Agent can be reached as follows:
National Public Radio, Inc.
1111 North Capitol Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Only DMCA notices should be sent to the Copyright Agent. For other comments or questions regarding the Site, please contact NPR Labs through the contact page on the Site.
The Site is controlled and operated within the United States. NPR makes no representation that content, materials, software or products available on or through the Site are appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. If you access to the Site from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, including local laws regarding online conduct and content and U.S. export laws and regulations.